When I first saw these guys on the Galloping Major’s web site, I didn’t really think to much of them. I mean as a FIW layman, I knew nothing about the Canadian Militia and their role in the war, so I didn’t see any use for them. I have spent quite a bit of time reading about them since. I decided to paint them as a warm up for the rangers, really the main attraction, right? Well, I’ve since really fallen for these figures. They are great fun to paint and have loads of personality.
I have been looking at all the painted examples that I can find to figure out how to paint them. I finally decide that I will paint half of them with white shirts, one quarter with buff shirts, and the remaining quarter will be colorful in some way.
I have also been experimenting with what is the best sized batch to paint in. It seems like I haven’t posted a blog post in donkey’s ears. It’s because I choose to paint four figures at once for the first time. I think this would be a time saver if they were uniformed figures, but as it is, I still have to stop and change colors so often that I don’t think it saves much time to do batches of greater than two at a time.
Here are the models as individuals showing my new wash concoction. Regular readers will know that I had some…”undesireable” results with my first experiment with washing.
One of the most frustrating thing about trying to learn about washes is that there are very few videos out there that show the technique and I’ve never read a tuttorial that really made me understand. Top that up with me not liking the washes available commercially and every article out there telling you how to make your own NEVER specifies a recipe. It’s always, “Mix the paint with some future, I just keep adding until I achieve the effect I want.” Thanks for nothing A-hole!
We’ll, if you like the subtle wash effect from above, here’s how I did it. You will see two of the ingredients on the left here Vallejo German Grey and Vallejo Glaze Medium, and the other is the wash. The only ingredient not pictured is Future Floor Polish which I found at Wal-Mart. I’m sure it goes by different names in other countries, if you do some googling you find it.
I mixed the wash up with the following ratios:
- 20mL of Future
- 1 Drop of German Grey
- 4 Drops of Glaze Medium
I’m pretty happy with the subtle tones compared to the GW washes that I ruined the figures with last time.