Just finished these up last night. This is the second set of Indians I’ve done and the first with any experience in 28mm behind me, if paint all of 19 models counts as experience. I used a wash on these, which I didn’t on my previous Mohawks, and I think it helps to soften the skin tones and helps define the muscles in a way my brushwork doesn’t.
I’m pretty happy with the way things turned out. This is my first trial at war paint, it’s a difficult thing for me to come to terms with. I’d be more comfortable if there were some sort of regulations that told me the three possible combinations or some such thing, but I think I’ll be out of luck on this one. My fear is that I’ll end up adding the same three “random” patterns to everyone, but we’ll see.
I painted these with darker colors than I used on the Mohawks as I’ve been thinking of realistic ways to distinguish the two tribes at tables length. I’d also like to run red on red battles with them, so some distinction is preferable. Don’t get me wrong, when looking at a model closely, there are many differences, but sometimes this is lost when viewing from far away. As I wrote that last sentence, I realize that the Mohawk have feathers in their hair and the Huron don’t…damn, just checked the website and it’s consistent. That’s a bunch of wasted brain power, but at least I’ve got the easy recognition that I was after.
Without further ado, here’s the new batch.