I didn’t plan to paint these lads so early in the VSF world, but due to an order mix-up I became the proud owner of them. They really grew on me from the start. My original plan for my VSF forces involves defending Britain from Zombies and fighting Prussian spies, so the muscle is going to be Artizan Bobbies with guns. That left me with a dilemma, what to do with these pseudo coppers? I came up with some sort of liaison from the military to work with the VSF special forces lads.
I’ve read about the Zulus wars extensively, so I had to go with green cuffs and collars for the 24th of course. I struggled with the helmet color though, white (foriegn service), black (home service), or tea stained (practical field alteration of white hat)? In the end I went with white to keep the model bright and cheery. The cords to the LAM VSF weapons and tools is typcially painted red and blue, so I altered the colors a bit, and even considered a green cord for a while.
I’ve been reading old Judge Dredd comics this summer and it’s got me thinking about painting them for a while. I’ll write more about them when they have the final touches done.
I had a problem where Dreddy was bigger than the bases I use, so I hit him with a file and shortened the cast-on base. Now his feet stick over a bit, but I like the effect, and only nicked his feet with a file a few times.
I’ve been plugging away at these for a bit and I’ve shown a few here and there over the past few months. I own ninety of them at the moment and I hope the grow the number even further as I get towards the winter months. I’ll leave the reviews to other blogs that have more experience with different zombies. My opinion is this
I needed cheap zombies and these guys are dirt cheap, especially when you order them in groups of 60
I’m a little disappointed in the number of hand options they give. In ever group of four hands (per three models) one is holding a head and another is holding a severed hand. I could do without these as they draw attention and hurt the randomness of the zombie mob. Every four zombies is holding a severed hand?
Putting them together is easy and shouldn’t detract from them.
They are ridiculously good value for money and the only way to build a zombie hoard of 200 models.
I have been painting them by:
Spray paint of various colors (ColorPlace Grey Primer, Krylon Grey Primer, Krylon Beige Camo Paint, Krylon Light Green Camo Paint)
Then dry-brushing them with a lighter color
Painting random colors on the rotting clothes, same color for four random models at a time
Painting the various open wounds with a light red-brown color
Painting the hair various colors
Painting eyes red
Washing with my own wash formula
Two coats of Dullcote
I’d like to cut down the number of steps, but I think this is going to be the most efficient way to do it and still be satisfied. With Zombies, it’s not the individual that matters, but the hoard effect. While I do try my best, I don’t touch up mistakes, I just keep going. There will always be more zombies to paint.
I painted a group of 12 first then a group of 15. I don’t think I will paint larger groups than 15 as the task then seems daunting and I will put it off in favor of models that I enjoy painting more.
I’ve had my eye on this period for some time and the Paul Hicks’ figures finally pushed me into getting started. I also bought the original VBCW book for some light reading and to get more use out of IWI figures. I thought the IWI offered some engagements with low model counts and few specific terrain features. So here we go.
This first lot of figures are from Musketeer Miniatures and are absolutely beautiful to see painted up. But while I was painting them, my enthusiasm dimmed somewhat. I love Copplestone sculpts as they are minimalistic BUT still brimming with character. Painting these, while still minimalistic, each figure seemed more of a cipher than a character? Once they were painted, I warmed to them more. I think they will look great in larger numbers, say 10 or so. You can tell they were sculpted with skill, but there is just a little something missing. I’m not giving up on them, but I’m hoping they do grow on me as there is VERY LITTLE out there for this period.
On the plus side, hey they are figures specifically made to represent the IRA! You can’t beat that. And they paint up very quickly, I mean very quickly. I could easily paint all four of these chaps int he time it takes for one Mohawk or Ranger.
I’m not entirely happy with the dark palette that I used for these four, but until I have more experience with the period, I’ll keep copying the paint schemes of the Musketeer Miniatures site.
I’ve had these folks for about six months now and have been looking forward painting them for even longer. At first I was intimidated by the level of detail in the sculpts but it didn’t turn out to be daunting at all. In fact, it seemed a perfect level of detail and with some careful color choices, it was quite easy to paint them. I used the LAM website as my guide for the colors and it turned out quite well. If I had it to do over again, I might have gone with a green for the Bonnie’s dress, but I like it anyhow. Try as I might, I couldn’t get a decent in focus picture of Bonnie.
These guys represent my first foray into 28mm VSF and I’m glad to start it. At first they will fight zombies using Akula’s AR:SE rules and eventually I plan to have some dastardly Prussians and possibly Turks for them to fight with Flying Lead. We’ll see where it goes, but the first priority is FUN really and these guys are definitely fun to paint.
These are also the first ever metal miniatures I have based on slotta bases. I like the rounded 30mm bases as these will be centerpiece figures, they will never be in a unit really. Each is an individual.