I’ve been watching these little beauties on other peoples photos for a while now. These trucks are called Crossley Tenders and they carted the Black and Tans and Auxies around Ireland during the Irish War of Independence. There’s lots of great footage of the troops packed into the back of these trucks and tooling around in black and white.
There aren’t any 28mm wargames models of them that I’m aware of. Most folks seem to buy the MATCHBOX MOY Y13 1918 CROSSLEY where ever they can find them. I found a couple on eBay for a reasonable price and painted them up. Thing is, I hate painting vehicles. I mean, I really hate painting them. I see every minute spent painting them as a minute that I’m not painting miniatures. I think I made the most of these those. I spray painted them with can of Krylon flat green camo paint, with a lighter green dry bush. Then I painted the seats and wheels. My next move was going to be a wash, but I started it and thought it wasn’t really making much of a difference, so I stopped. A couple of coats of sealer and bob’s your uncle.
These lads are on the painting table at the moment, I can’t wait to see how they paint up.
I have been quite taken with the Musketeer Miniatures line of figures for the Very British Civil War, they are one of only maybe two or three people out there making figures specifically for this somewhat unique setting. They are sculpted by Paul Hicks and quite simple to paint. My only problem so far has been the great amount of flash and mold lines and a somewhat high amount of damaged or broken weapons. I’ve ordered seven packs so far and have four broken rifles and pistols. Now, Gripping Beast has been superb in taking care of what I have reported to them (only one of the failures) but I’ve decided I will take care of the rest myself. Here are my results so far.
First I ordered some IRA and BUF figures, I discovered a broken BUF rifle and they replaced it with a new pack. When the new pack came, it had a broken rifle. Then I finally found time to paint the IRA and when I had a good look at the models that I ordered at the same time as the original BUF, they had a broken rifle!
So, now I had three broken rifles to fix. I broke out the pin vice and drilled a hole as close to the center of the rifles that I could, I went in just a few millimeters. I have some brass tubing that I bought a while ago for some VSF stuff. It’s not very big, about twice the size of a paper clip, but it’s hollow. I cut a length of that and popped it in the hole.
Then here’s what they looked like then.
I really liked how this turned out. Now this doesn’t look like any gun that I’ve ever seen, but at table distance, it passes muster beautifully. Here are all three of the lads with their new rifles.
And here are a couple of the lads with a coat of paint on them.
I think the operation was a success! It’s pretty rewarding to save a model or two. This was a great lead in to my next hard luck case. I just ordered some more British regulars and this time I ordered some officers and NCO’s to lead the troops. One of the officers came with a broken pistol and looked a bit funny. Our came the pin vice and super glue again! This time I only put a piece of paper clip in as the pistol barrel is much smaller than the rifle barrels. Here he is pre-painted. I wish I had used a longer piece of paper clip, but I’ll live with it.
These guys were great fun to paint. I didn’t know a thing about Miliciens or Canadian Militia when I started this project over a year ago, but I have found them very interesting since. The Galloping Major range seems to have embraced them with a passion as I now have 24 of them with completely unique poses and equipment.
In fact that’s one of the most amazing things about this range, I now have over 100 models from this range without a single repeat! That’s pretty amazing really. The war was mostly skirmishes so it seems to suit such a fabulous range of figures, and that’s only the irregulars that have been produced so far!
This is the first group of troops that I used my new washing method with. I read a post on TMP where the author talked about using the wash after he sealed the figures with a glossy sealant. The idea being that the wash only adds shadows and doesn’t stain the paint. I have to say that it’s a bit more fiddly, but I like the results quite a bit and I’m sold. It will add around two days to the finishing process, but one more coat of sealant just adds more protection to the little works of art, right?
I’ve been planning on adding more troops to my VBCW project for a while, but I got sidetracked for a while with starting my own miniatures line. At the moment I don’t have anything to do but wait, so on to more painting.
This is a pretty tame group, just a few more weak minds and strong backs to continue to bulk out my Fascist forces. These guys are immense fun to paint, I kinda think about them like storm troopers in Star Wars. The ever present guards and toughs there to be taken out by the heroes. Bad guys can be fun too, right? That’s the one great thing about this setting is that even though they are fascists, they don’t come with all the baggage that German fascists do.
I’m beginning to experience a little frustration with the Musketeer Miniatures VBCW scultps as the faces are looking pretty rough on this lot. Don’t know if I got a bad cast or whether the mold is wearing out, but they take some love before they get to the painting table.
Just working on some transport, they just need a bit of a wash and a matte coat and I’ll have another blog post for the Crossley tenders soon.
I just finished up some more of my BUF troops for a VBCW and though they aren’t very complicated, I couldn’t remember what colors I used for some of the details. So this is mostly a record for myself, there may be others out there that would like a starting point for painting their own British Fascists. I used all Vallejo paints with the following names.