Posted on

Can I Call It a War Party?

Alright, I have three of the buggers finished. I even felt like getting a little crazy on one loin cloth. I’ve been debating as to what kind of base to mount them on. I’ve put a few questions out on blogs asking about bases that I like. One of the typical answers seems to be English pennies. Well, I used to live in the UK and instead of asking my wife’s family for a constant supply of pennies, I thought about using a US penny. Then I thought I wouldn’t mind the extra gram or two and a bit more breathing room, so I went and mounted them on dimes, almost insuring I’ll never meet anyone that bases them the same way. But dimes are 21.2mm in diameter and 2mm thick, so I like them. If I had an easy source, I’d prefer something magnetic, but I don’t have the patience to source it and shop for them at the moment.

I’m feeling a little more relaxed when painting individual troops. It seems like for the past five years, I’ve been painting to fill a quote so I could play the massive games that I have going around in my head. Each unit was fun to finish and put in the line, but near the end there was little reward in the process. With painting for a skirmish game, you can give the models some personality. This seems like a more fun experience at the moment. On the same token, I can’t imagine a unit of 16 of these guys representing 500 men either. 1 to 1 seems to be the order of the day. I’ve already got a great name for my lead Ranger when they arrive.

I’ve got a boat load more of the Galloping Major’s figures arriving soon, though they seem to be delayed by “inclement” weather in Britain.

Posted on

Wash Experiments – Part 1

In my continuing persuit of better quality for my 28mm models, I’ve taken some advice from a thread I started on TMP.  I’m going to try washing the white basecoat and then drybrushing over that.  I’ve created a grey wash with some paint and Future floor polish that I have from some previous experiments years ago.

Here is the original model, turn down your monitor brightness or the white may cause some temporary blindness.

Here is the same model with a grey wash on it.  I don’t think the photo shows just how dark the actual wash is, but I’m not very happy with just washing the white.

Here is the same model with a white drybrush over the the wash.  I’m a big fan of this actually.  I will most likely use this method, it’s all down to fine tuning it now.

More experiments to follow, I have some figures primed white and grey that I will be experimenting on with more washes.

Posted on

First 28mm Historical Figures

I’ve painted a lot of 6mm guys in the same pose, I mean A LOT of 6mm guys in the same pose. It’s time for a bit of a change. I first started painting 28mm “Heroic” sci-fi stuff for a short while before I become interested in historical gaming. I didn’t really do it well though. I suppose it’s time to try a little harder.

I ordered some Front Rank AWI figures to get started with. I have painted more AWI figures than anywhere else and I already have Sharp Practice as a rule set. I just ordered some test models. “Test Models,” doesn’t sound that evil does it? I have avoided them for years, as it always translated to “wasted time” to me. But now I’m a firm believer in trying things out and trying them a few different ways.

Working in 6mm, I’ve been able to block paint EVERYTHING and get away with it. In 6mm, you are working to make the unit look good, not the individual. Here is my first block painted British regular or hatman. Everything is in the right place and the right color, it’s just that it lacks…character.

I need to add something to make the model look more three dimensional. I only have experience with dry brushing and some with black lining. So I thought I would try black lining my other test model.

Here is my second test model. I block painted it as well, but black lined his straps with a technical pen ( Pigma Micron 0.25mm) to get the definition on the straps. I think the picture looks better than the model.

Still not happy with the results, I decided I had to try something else.

This figure has been dry brushed and black-lined. But this time, I painted the thin straps black and the edges of the thick straps black, then painted white on the tops of them. I also primed it gray, drybrushed the small clothes with white, then painted them with ivory. I was hoping this would break up the white areas. His red coat also has a lighter color drybrushed on top for depth.

I have another in the works at the moment, but I’m not really sure what combination to try on him. I’m hoping to get this figured out soon as I have my first Mohawks arriving from The Galloping Major Wargames soon!

Anyway, here is a gallery of my first efforts, with a few comparison pics thrown in. All models are Front Rank.