Posted on

Further Canoe Progress

I’ve had a bit more time to work on the canoe. This time instead of using sand paper, I went whole hog and broke out the dremmel tool. I threw out a lot of dust, but was able to work on it at a much faster pace.

I really like where it’s at right now, I have only some minor smoothing to do and it’s ready for some green stuff to be added for the details. This will finally make it look like a canoe I hope. A few seems in the right places.

I will say that the amount of dust I threw up while caving this scared me a little. I wore a mask for the most part, but still had while nostrils when finished. Who the hell knows what kind of stuff you are throwing around when sanding plumbers epoxy? This has lead me to look into creating a dust catcher. Once upon a time (after two years of schooling) I was a dental technician for about 60 days. But we did use a lot of equipment that is used in model making as we were custom sculpting and casting tiny teeth. One of the pieces of equipment that I will next try to create is a dust collector. Basically a vacuum with a head that sits right next to the dremmel and sucks in all the dust. I have an old vacuum cleaner in the basement that should do the trick.

Anyway, here’s where we are at.

Posted on

A Few Minutes Work

I had a few minutes while my wife was in the shower to try shaping the canoe. It went pretty well, I’m loping forward to getting some more time soon.

After looking at my reference, I think I will have to try and put more of a point on the end, it’s definately a canoe shape, but some fine tuning is in order.

Posted on

Make My Own Canoe!? Sureā€¦

When I made the decision to leave 6mm behind and try something different, my main motivation was creating something with personality. Individuals and places rather than troops and battlefields. One of my main inspirations has come from a poster on the Lead Adventures forum, Silent Invader. I have seen what he has created and painted and I’d be happy to accomplish half as much as he has. One of his blog posts shows how he created his small water craft by hand. Now I don’t have any need for a canoe as I only have 6 figures painted, but I thought “HOW FREAKIN’ COOL, wonder if I could do that?” So, here is the beginning of my attempt.

I don’t want to post another person’s pictures on my blog, so I will refer to the photos from Silent Invaders blog that can be found here.

The first thing I did was take a trip to the hardware store to buy some plumber’s epoxy. I have never used the stuff before, but hey it’s about time right. Don’t let my wife know, she might expect me to fix a sink or something eventually. It was about $7, so not to bad, but not exactly cheap. Then again, not as expensive as buying one.


Next was to make the basic shape out of some sort of card type material. One of my students (I’m a teacher) left some scraps of poster board in my room yesterday, so I had my material. I copied the picture of the cut-outs from Silent Invaders blog onto a word document and blew it up to as large as possible on one piece of paper. Then printed it out, cut out the shapes, drew them onto the poster board, and cut those out. The two sides of the canoe in SI’s picture are different sizes due to camera angle when the shot was taken. I used the smaller size for my model. I used scotch tape to keep the pieces together temporarily. Here is the result. I’ve also placed some bases in one picture to make sure it will hold my figures. I’m hoping for a four figure capacity, but more about that later.

It’s hard to get my head around the fact that a lot of this frame will be sanded away during the process. Once I had the initial shape ready, it was time to start applying the epoxy. I started in the bow and stern and let that dry for a few minutes. Then I the epoxy to the sides of one half, that way it allowed my splint in the middle to keep the canoe-y shape. After a few more minutes, I added the epoxy to the other half.

I was pretty happy with my creation at this point. Then I looked at the one I’m supposed to be emulating. I think I made a big mistake. My sides are far too wide an d a base no longer fits on the flat surface at the bottom of my boat. We’ll see how it turns out.

The boat will be given it’s final shape through a combination of sanding and adding greenstuff.