Posted on

First Try at a Game of Might & Reason

OK, after 3 years of painting to get the forces ready to play a game of Might & Reason, about 4 months of purchasing and building terrain and a reread of the rules. I was ready to try my first game. I have been building the forces with two battles in mind, Lobositz and Kolin. I choose to try Lobositz first as a scenario due to it’s smaller size.

I set up the table and took some snaps in a previous post. So now, I’ve put all the troops on the table and lined them up neatly. I played the first four-ish rounds of the game and learned quite a bit. The first thing I learned was that I need to start with a much smaller force to get the hang of the rules. The M&R rules are not complicated, but I didn’t read them, apparently, with recently enough to help. So I think a smaller game with less details will help.

Over all it was fun to see the lines advance towards each other, but there was too much to remember for me to still be able to have fun and move everything. Once I become familiar with the rules and get some sort of system down for gameplay, I think the game will be great.

Having an opponent, rather than solo play, would greatly increase the ease of learning, but what are you going to do. I took a few snaps of the game in progress for those who like pictures of them.

The timing could not have been worse for my M&R figs as I have just gained and acted upon a new interest in the French and Indian war side of the conflict.

Posted on

Might and Reason Commanders

One of the things about playing Might and Reason is that each commander has a slightly different rating. This needs to be marked on each one in some way. I have played around with many different ways of doing this and nothing beats plain old English, unless you don’t speak it of course.

So I created these little unit tags from the scenario write-ups. I only changed them by moving the name up top to save space. Previously it was all one line and that was too long.

I drill a small hole on each base I make, line bases to command base, to allow me to do some very versatile things with them. It allows me to make bases very easily using shortened tooth picks.

Here’s how the commanders will be marked. I’d like to hear and suggestions or comments. (Yes I know they are Austrian tags on Prussian commanders, it’s what was handy when I had the camera.)