Posted on

Huron (3)

I have finished my last batch of Huron warriors.  These guys were a lot of fun to paint and I even made a few alterations to them.  I’m not a big fan of headbands and in this last group I had a few guys with headbands, the one in the blanket and the guy standing and pointing, so I went to work on them.  I started with a dremel to grind them down and do the bulk of the work, then I hit them with a small round file to get a good shape back.  I think it came out alright and if you didn’t know it was done, you might not even notice.

I never really became comfortable with the green and purple warpaint so it was used sparingly throughout.  I really wish I was more creative with it in general, but it’s one of those things that I need to work on I guess.

Here they are as individuals.

Posted on

Rangers (3) – Rogers and Co.

I have been anticipating these guys for a long time.  This is the first new release from The Galloping Major since I started painting his figures, so they set back my complete figures percetages creating a desire to get some paint on them quickly.  It still took me a little while as I was waiting to see what others have done with them.  So far, the only painted example is by the Major himself on his site.  With that inspiration and the photo on the back of the The Annotated and Illustrated Journals of Major Robert Rogers as my guide, I went for it.

The following are the results, I hope I have done the figure justice as it’s fantastic.  It’s my first attempt at 28mm 18th Century lace really.  It’s a time consuming, but not un-enjoyable process.  I had an amazing amount of fun painting the tri-corn on the other Ranger officer, and it makes me look even more forward to the eminent releases from the galloping major.  We’ve already seen the Provincial officer, I’m hoping for other regular types in the very near future.

Posted on

Canadian Militia (5)

I finally finished one group of my FIW figures.  I have been painting them in a rotation to keep things fresh, so this means all of the groups are getting near completion.

As usual, I have been saving my favorite command figures for the last group.  I’m especially fond of the Milice command figure with the gangster grip on his pistol.  As with this range of figures, I enjoy painting them more and more every time.  These are the last of 20 Canadian Militia that I possess.

 

And here is the gallery.

 

Posted on

Mohawks (3)

I have been painting Mohawk warriors for a while now and I thought it was finally time I plowed through some of my more favorite models. I wanted to wait a while before I tried them to make sure that I worked out the bugs and did the best job I could on them.

These guys were great fun to paint and I had a lot of fun with the more characterful models in this group. There are a four guys from the Galloping Major’s Mohawk Command pack in this lot and they ooze character. These two lads were my favorite to paint of all the 28’s I have done so far.

Here is the gallery.

Posted on

Rangers (2)

I have finished my second batch of Rangers, those wearing caps this time. I’m really liking how these turned out, the Rangers take longer to paint than all the other units due to all of the details, but it’s a fun process and the end result is worth it.

I painted one as a Provincial drafted into Ranger service after being inspired by the Galloping Majors site. I’m trying to pick out one to be a Light Infantry man from Gage’s unit, but might have left it too late as I only have the Ranger command and the Ranger personality packs to choose from.

I became discouraged with my wash after have some bad results with one of the Mohawk units I painted before, but have figured out how to control it and am happy again. Previously I had shaken the wash up for a long time to make sure all of the pigment was mixed in and then used a big brush to try and do it faster. The combination gave very dark results that I didn’t like. I have found that using a small brush allows me to place it much more easily and gives better results.

Posted on

Making an Easy to Setup Field

I was organizing the table the other day and noticed that setting up a simple field could be tedious. I thought I would try my hand at making a self-contained field that I could easily flip on the table and go with.

I started with a bog standard clip board.

  • Cut off the clip
  • Spray paint it brown
  • I cut a piece of corduroy to size. Leaving about an inch on all sides.
  • I used spray adhesive to spay the painted clipboard and carefully laid the corduroy in place
  • When dry, I “painted” a glue-water mixture on the edges and added sand on top for texture.
  • Paint the sand brown
  • Add the split rail fencing
  • Paint on glue-water mixture, sprinkle on static grass
  • Final coat of Krylon Matte
  • Sounds like a lot, but each step goes really fast and I did it in between painting other things. I think I’d like about four of these to sling on the table at a moments notice.

Posted on

British Forces for Freeman’s Farm

Finally some new pictures.  While I havn’t been posting as I needed some time to assess the amount of time I was spending taking pictures and blogging versus the feedback, I have been painting like a madman.  Well, like a madman for me, I’m a very slow painter.

I finished all of the forces that will be on the table for the British side in my Freeman’s Farm scenario.  This is 932 infantry, four command stands, and seven gun stands.  Quite a tidy little group if I don’t say so myself.

These are not my best photos as I’m still trying to work out the best way to take effective pictures of large groups of miniatures.  I have it down pat for small groups, but still a lot to learn.