Posted on

Flamboyant Miliciens, Canadian Militia (2)

It seems like it has been forever since I posted to the old blog. For some reason, it has taken me ages to paint these three figures. I think one of the reasons is that I don’t have a system in place for turning out figures. I think at one point, I had every figure that was in the system in a stage where they were all waiting to dry for the next step. This usually doesn’t happen as I try to keep some guys always primed and ready to start, others in some stage of basing, and others in some stage of painting, and yet more waiting for some sort of spray. It’s not pretty but it works a treat when it’s up and running.

I also think that two figures at a time seems to be my sweet spot, as I can rip through two, but there is some sort of geometric mutltiplication of effort going on as I increase the number of figures past that. With uniformed figures, I’m sure it saves time to paint more in one go, but not with the individualistic types I’ve got going here.

Flamboyant You Say?

After seeing some fantastic photos of Canadian Militia painted in colored shirts, I thought I would add some to the mix myself.

I have been having some great fun with the wash that I came up with. At this point it’s doing such a great job that I do VERY LITTLE highlighting afterwards. I like the effect as it stands, just block paint and wash. The only things I highlight aftewards are the edges of the tuque and the hammer, pan, and end of musket barrels.

Posted on

Repainting Figures

I have always been afraid of having to do this. I have very limited hobby time with a busy family life and a few jobs, so I have dreaded having to spend one or two weeks of my hobby time on something that I will have to redo later. I have let it stop me from experimenting, a let it stop me from growing as a painter I suppose.

I took the plunge with some Canadien Militia recently and wasn’t happy with the results. So, it’s off to the store to pick up some “Simple Green”. I’m not sure about availability outside the US or brand name elsewhere, so you might have to do some research to find it. Simple Green is pretty widely known as a safe substance that does a heck of a job removing paint from figures. I’m not sure about plastics, but I don’t have any so it’s not a worry for me.

I popped them into a glass jar, put a touch of water in, and added an equal amount of simple green and let them sit over night. I pulled them out last night and gave them a going over with an old toothbrush. It removed 95% of the paint with ease. Pretty impressive. There were a few bits still in deep crevices and undercuts, so i popped them back in the Simple Green for another night. I hope this will take them back to “factory” condition ready for priming and getting back into the action.

Posted on

Miliciens Finished, Canadian Militia (1)

After a long haul, I have finished my Miliciens Canadiens to satisfaction.

Hitting them with some Dullcoat was a key move. I might even hit them with it again as I can see some parts that are still shiny. The only thing I would like to change is the dark leggings, they don’t seem to have much “definition”. I’ll have to work on that.

Here are some individual shots.

[the-series]

Posted on

Oooh…Shiny, Miliciens and Washes Part Deux

When I first saw these guys on the Galloping Major’s web site, I didn’t really think to much of them. I mean as a FIW layman, I knew nothing about the Canadian Militia and their role in the war, so I didn’t see any use for them. I have spent quite a bit of time reading about them since. I decided to paint them as a warm up for the rangers, really the main attraction, right? Well, I’ve since really fallen for these figures. They are great fun to paint and have loads of personality.

I have been looking at all the painted examples that I can find to figure out how to paint them. I finally decide that I will paint half of them with white shirts, one quarter with buff shirts, and the remaining quarter will be colorful in some way.

I have also been experimenting with what is the best sized batch to paint in. It seems like I haven’t posted a blog post in donkey’s ears. It’s because I choose to paint four figures at once for the first time. I think this would be a time saver if they were uniformed figures, but as it is, I still have to stop and change colors so often that I don’t think it saves much time to do batches of greater than two at a time.

Without further ado, here are the Miliciens Canadiens with the initial wash, ready for a light dry brushing and a serious matte coat.

Here are the models as individuals showing my new wash concoction. Regular readers will know that I had some…”undesireable” results with my first experiment with washing.

One of the most frustrating thing about trying to learn about washes is that there are very few videos out there that show the technique and I’ve never read a tuttorial that really made me understand. Top that up with me not liking the washes available commercially and every article out there telling you how to make your own NEVER specifies a recipe. It’s always, “Mix the paint with some future, I just keep adding until I achieve the effect I want.” Thanks for nothing A-hole!

The Wash

We’ll, if you like the subtle wash effect from above, here’s how I did it. You will see two of the ingredients on the left here Vallejo German Grey and Vallejo Glaze Medium, and the other is the wash. The only ingredient not pictured is Future Floor Polish which I found at Wal-Mart. I’m sure it goes by different names in other countries, if you do some googling you find it.

I mixed the wash up with the following ratios:

  • 20mL of Future
  • 1 Drop of German Grey
  • 4 Drops of Glaze Medium

I’m pretty happy with the subtle tones compared to the GW washes that I ruined the figures with last time.